Photo

Planting Garden

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 88tc

88tc

We find many things to which the prohibition of them constitutes the only temptation. William Hazlitt

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:16 AM

Anyone plant anything yet. It's early, I hope it doesn't freeze again. I planted habanero, jalapeno, watermellon, and strawberries. I also have some yellow crookneck squash seeds that I might plant.
"Any people, anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable, a most sacred right, a right which we hope and believe is to liberate the world." (Proves he was a hypocrite)
-Abraham Lincoln 1848

#2 Rando

Rando

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion. Edmund Burke

• Freesteader Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:47 AM

Onions and potatoes have been in the ground for about a month now. Probably plant the rest this week. I'm thinking 4-6 tomato plants and 4-6 pepper plants with the rest of the room for squash.

I planted a couple kinds of beans, cabbage, onions, beets, and carrots for my grandparents last weekend.

How do you go about planting strawberries?

#3 88tc

88tc

We find many things to which the prohibition of them constitutes the only temptation. William Hazlitt

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

How do you go about planting strawberries?

I got the small strawberry plants from the local nursery. Planted then in rows, each plant about 7" apart, but probably should have put the further apart. They might be a little crowded when they get bigger.
"Any people, anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable, a most sacred right, a right which we hope and believe is to liberate the world." (Proves he was a hypocrite)
-Abraham Lincoln 1848

#4 EtdBob

EtdBob

When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free. Charles Evans Hughes

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:55 PM

Uh, I still got several feet of snow in the garden....And it's snowing again today... :blink:
For Liberty and Responsibility

#5 oblivionboyj

oblivionboyj

"May the Force be with us." Admiral Ackbar

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:12 PM

My wife has seedlings in the greehouse, but I am not sure what she has started yet.
We have decided to go with raised beds this year.
I am on vacation next week and that is when the new beds go in :)
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert Heinlein

#6 eurycea12

eurycea12

I reckon how a feller acts when the chips are down is the true measure of a man. -ETDbob

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

I filled 3 raised beds today - only got up to 37 degrees. After this cold snap passes the shell and snow peas go in.
The cabbage (2 kinds) broccoli, brussels, spinach and lettuce will hopefully be in next weekend.
Rhubarb and asparagus are peeking through.
Tomatoes, peppers beans and others will not go in till mid-May at the earliest.
5 out of 6 years we have been here we get a frost Memorial Day.
This year I plan on using row covers.
Don't gain the world and lose your soul
Wisdom is better than silver or gold.
--Bob Marley

#7 Mike

Mike

There ain't no rules around here! We're trying to accomplish something. Thomas Edison

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:27 PM

We got our little garden back going again this year, after neglecting to do so the past 3 years. It is only a small suburban garden, about 8'x14' or so. What has been a problem is the fact that this little area behind the shed used to be a gravel-surfaced dog kennel. So it has been a proper bitch removing all the gravel. Every time it rains, I go in there and pick it out by hand.
This pic was taken before we planted, right after I tilled in a truckload of manure and made some mulch paths. Anyway, the section on the right has 3 broccoli plants and 3 cauliflower plants. The middle section has 3 Mortgage Lifter tomato plants and 3 Brandywine tomato plants. The section on the left has 36 candy onions and one each of the broccoli and cauliflower plants.

Posted Image

#8 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Petty laws breed great crimes. Ouida

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

I won't be participating in the local community garden this year. But I will have the opportunity to at least plant some cucumbers and tomatoes in the back yard. My landlord usually does that but the poor guy had a stroke a couple of months back so he is not interested. I also want to get some herbs going, oregano and sage in particular.

Edited by Bezukhov, 29 March 2012 - 02:51 PM.

Earth, Wind, and Fire~~Thats the Way (Live) (Not the usual fare, but they are one band I love.)

"Procrastination is the thief of time. Collar him!"~~Wilkins McCawber.

#9 Rando

Rando

• Freesteader Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

I got the small strawberry plants from the local nursery. Planted then in rows, each plant about 7" apart, but probably should have put the further apart. They might be a little crowded when they get bigger.

Ah. Saw some strawberries at Lowes, I guess they've always been there and I get tunnel vision. Might make room for them in a future garden though.

Replanted about half my onions. Don't know what the hell happened to the others.

Anyways, planted six tomato plants: Mr. Stripey, Golden Jubilee, Black Cherry, Big Boy, Celebrity, and Bonnie Original.
Eight pepper plants: Three different bells, gypsy, cherry, jalapeno, pablano, and anaheim. I was disappointed by the lack of banana pepper. Also have twelve mounds of crook-neck squash.

Good luck everyone.

#10 88tc

88tc

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

Also have twelve mounds of crook-neck squash.

I love crook-neck squash. It's one of my favorite things to grow in a garden. 12 mounds of squash? If they are in fun sun, with plenty of water, you are going to have a lot of squash.
-Abraham Lincoln 1848

#11 Rando

Rando

• Freesteader Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

Yeah, not really my idea. I was okay with six mounds, but the seeds were like $0.50 so my Dad had me plant the rest. Ours always revert to gourd-abominations in the summer anyways, so maybe we can put up (and give away) enough to last the year before they become inedible.

EDIT: Turning the furthest 2-4 into pumpkins. Having trouble finding the seed in town though.

Edited by Rando, 04 April 2012 - 04:45 AM.

#12 88tc

88tc

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

Uh, I still got several feet of snow in the garden....And it's snowing again today... :blink:

Living in Texas, I miss the snow we had growing up in California. I like wearing shorts in january (in texas), but i miss the snow.
-Abraham Lincoln 1848

#13 Rando

Rando

• Freesteader Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

Anyone have their 2013 gardens in the ground?

Right now I've got a row of taters, a row of onions, six varieties of pepper, five tomatoes, crook and straight neck squash, zucchini, and pumpkin. It's all up, save the gourds. Had a close call with some freezes, but it should all be fine.

#14 JoshF

JoshF

The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a bit longer. Henry Kissinger

• Freesteader Member
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:18 AM

Hoping to plant this week. I was late getting my soul test back. I am off to get a ton of dolomitic lime today as well as a ton of mushroom compost. My soil is terribly poor i am surprised it grew as mush food as it did last year.
I planted grapes and fruit trees early. Grapes killed by frost but trees look good.

#15 EtdBob

EtdBob

When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free. Charles Evans Hughes

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

I'm busy putting in a new corn patch where my old horse corral used to be. It's a south facing hillside just below our cottage and of course the horses ate everything to the ground there and killed most of the cedar trees as well ( they like the sweet bark ). Naturally, they also contributed quite a bit of manure which hopefully enriched the otherwise poor forest soils we have. So, for two days straight I've been running my chainsaw, felling trees and piling up logs to get more sunlight on the area. Maybe next weekend or this week after work I'll run our little crawler tractor back and forth and around all the stumps, then plant the "three sisters" the way the Indians used to, corn first, then beans and squash run in among them. Not sure how I'll keep all the wild animals out of the patch, but we'll see. Now that we have a solar powered well pump I can even water this patch, and its far enough downhill that it should have sufficient pressure to run a sprinkler if I can get enough garden hose to reach that far!

Edited by EtdBob, 06 May 2013 - 11:28 AM.

For Liberty and Responsibility

#16 crackshot

crackshot

The most fundamental purpose of government is defense, not empire. Joseph Sobran

• Freesteader Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:11 PM

Gardens are a hassle and a pain in the ass. By the time you calculate tilling up soil, weeding , watering, protecting from freeze, treaing for insects and fertilizing, it is cheaper to go to the supermarket.

#17 Rando

Rando

• Freesteader Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:56 AM

I don't treat for insects or fertilize, so basically all that's in mine is time and the cost of water. Even then, I've taken measures to cut down on that as well. I don't mind. Just about everyone from my grandparents back are farmers, my mother is a landscaper, and my father used to grow huuuge gardens when I was kid. Bringing forth plants out of the Earth is a family tradition.

#18 Thrawn

Thrawn

"It is, as some admiral once said, a trap." -Mara Jade Skywalker

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:14 AM

Tasty home garden produce > mass produced blandness. Even if one isn't worried about things being genetically modified, doused in questionable chemicals, and irradiated, that alone makes up for any cost and effort.
"Well, says No-bark, we got a chupacabra with an automatic weapon." And that's when they get real quiet, 'cause now they see the predicament we're in. ~ No-bark Noonan

#19 Thrawn

Thrawn

"It is, as some admiral once said, a trap." -Mara Jade Skywalker

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:17 AM

Tomatoes for instance, every single one I've had that hasn't been grown in someone's backyard has been disgusting and nothing like a tomato at all.
"Well, says No-bark, we got a chupacabra with an automatic weapon." And that's when they get real quiet, 'cause now they see the predicament we're in. ~ No-bark Noonan

#20 Rando

Rando

• Freesteader Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

I agree. Supermarket tomatoes look better. They're bigger, more consistent, shiny, red. Beautiful. Almost completely tasteless though. They do some stuff better though. Hot peppers, for one. I still grow them, but by god, they will light a fire under your ass. Even mild varieties. So, if I want to do hot stuffed peppers or shishkebabs or something, the bigger more consistent supermarket peppers are better.

Edited by Rando, 07 May 2013 - 02:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users