Photo

Kipper snacks

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mike

Mike

There ain't no rules around here! We're trying to accomplish something. – Thomas Edison

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:36 AM

Anybody like to eat kipper snacks? They're kippered filets of herring in a can, kinda like sardines or anchovies but much better to eat plain, IMO. Really nice smokey taste, and about $1.39 a can or so. I think they'd be good for semi-long-term storage-- the ones I have expire 12/2012. There's also 19 grams of protein in a can, which is 38% RDV. A bit high in sodium, but if you're into your emergency stash you're probably more concerned about short term survival rather than long term health. Anyway, you might give them a try next time you hit the grocery store.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kipper

#2 Geo

Geo

No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation. – General Douglas MacArthur

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:54 AM

Mmm, kipper snacks. I like most canned seafood. Smoked oysters are probably my favorite, followed by canned salmon. Kippers aren't far behind.
"WHORE?" ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

#3 Xzuatl

Xzuatl

nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves. – Edward R. Murrow

• Supporters
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 05:23 AM

I have never heard of kipper, so that means I probably don't like it.

“If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.” - Thomas Paine ‡

#4 DRman

DRman

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves. – Henry David Thoreau

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:51 AM

Good stuff, used to get them packed in my lunch as a kid. Still like them, but then if it comes out of the ocean I usually like it anyway.
"Life is short. Live it up." Nikita Khrushchev (1894-1971)

"but why is the rum gone?" Jack Sparrow

"Some men just want to see the world burn." Alfred, from "The Dark Knight"

#5 88tc

88tc

We find many things to which the prohibition of them constitutes the only temptation. – William Hazlitt

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:46 PM

"You eat that outside!!" "And I don't want to smell any open can or lid in my trash can, either!"

That's what my wife will say if I buy kippers.
"Any people, anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable, a most sacred right, a right which we hope and believe is to liberate the world." (Proves he was a hypocrite)
-Abraham Lincoln 1848

#6 Artigas

Artigas

A government is not legitimate merely because it exists. – Jeane J. Kirkpatrick

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,963 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:58 PM

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

Entre ávidos y logreros/Su lema fue "por la patria"/Y cuando ensilló el caballo/Y llamó a la paisanada/No fue por altanería/De poncho blanco en vanguardia
Washington Benavides

Con Libertad: Defendiendo el Derecho de Defenderse

#7 negator

negator

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it. – Martin Luther King, Jr.

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:54 PM

each bug out bag has one.
i also have a stash at my work.

(two things i never thought i'd admit.)

Edited by negator, 13 August 2008 - 08:55 PM.

"As a general principle, I should put it that a man's country is where the things he loves are most respected. Circumstances may have prevented his ever setting foot there, but it remains his country."
-albert jay nock

#8 EtdBob

EtdBob

When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free. – Charles Evans Hughes

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:20 PM

Kippers is good stuff, especially on rye crackers.

You guys ever try pickled herring? Being Dutch, that was a traditional food eaten at christmas in our family.
Pretty horrible stuff really. :rolleyes: Then there's roll mop herring, another Dutch treat, but it's hard to get over here.
For Liberty and Responsibility

#9 DRman

DRman

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves. – Henry David Thoreau

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:38 PM

Part of my fathers family is first generation Swedish. As a kid we had about 15 different kinds of pickled herring or raw herring in cream sauce at every holiday. Every one had their specialty and as a kid I had to eat them all. If I remember correctly the Swedish name for this stuff is sil or sill. We used to call it swill and get a smack in the head. Another happy childhood memory :) .

#10 EtdBob

EtdBob

When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free. – Charles Evans Hughes

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 02:08 PM

Both sides of my family are mostly Dutch, but we had a Swedish "Grandmaw ConeyIsland" as we used to call her, mixed in there somewhere. She came over as a teenager to work in a hotel in florida, and one of those New York "Palookas" snapped her up.
She never could speak english very well, but she was the best cook in the family.
Her holiday breads were legend. She called it soemthing like "veertabra". The majic ingredient is the cardamon, of course.
We still got that recipe. :P
For Liberty and Responsibility

#11 DRman

DRman

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:38 AM

We still make cardamon bread and coffee cake every Christmas. Good stuff.

#12 LowKey

LowKey

When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. – Gary Lloyd

• Freesteader Member
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:25 AM

We still make cardamon bread and coffee cake every Christmas. Good stuff.

Don't forget Crumkaggen. Crumkaggen filled with whipped heavy cream, berries, and powdered sugar. Kinda like an oversized Norwegian cannoli.....with a crisp shell.

Awww hell. Now I'm hungry!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users