10 replies to this topic

#1 Xzuatl

Xzuatl

nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves. – Edward R. Murrow

• Supporters
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:54 AM

I bought a new Stevens Model 200 in .308 with my government cheese and wanted to give you guys a chance to see the transformation. I will take it from the best cheap rifle available to a 1st class shooter in the end.

I am very happy with it. The weight and ergonomics are excellent. It comes to the shoulder nicely. The trigger is great, no creep, breaks clean, but it is a tad heavy though it can be adjusted. The factory stock on the Stevens has a hollow butt with a square of styrofoam in it. I pulled that out and filled it with a liquid spray foam. The fore end has a little play in it, but not unusable. The barrel is fully free floating. I am going to take it to the range this weekend to do a short barrel break in and then get a accuracy base line. Next comes Pahse II, bedding the action, lightening the trigger, adding a limbsaver pad, bondo-modding the stock, and doing a camo job. Pics will accompany the post as soon as I get to it.

5/17/08
I scoped it with a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 and slinged it Saturday and headed off to the range.
Posted Image

I fired 50 rounds breaking in the barrel, getting it zeroed, and trying out some 150 and 180 grain winchester soft points. The rifle is pretty light, so the recoil and muzzle jump was pretty severe, my shoulder was killing me by the time I shot my 5 round group. You can see the result of my flinching with shot #3. The heavy trigger was also a problem. The trigger and the flinching became clearly apparent when I unknowingly attempted a shot without a round in the chamber. I was amazed at how badly I was yanking the shot. I was shooting off of my rolled up soft rifle case at a range table, so I was muscling the rifle while aiming to boot. Anyway here is my 5 round group using federal gold match 168gr bthp at 100 yards, cross winds about 8 mph..

Posted Image

This rifle is much better than I am, I cant wait to mod it up .

05/22-23: Taking the plunge.
I decided to add some support to the fore end, so I cut an aluminum arrow, and screwed it into place on both sides. This will also give the bondo something to hold on to.

Posted Image

I also put in some screws for weight and support on the cheek rest.

Posted Image

Next comes the bondo. I clamped a wooden flat wrapped in wax paper to the bottom of the fore end to help shape the bondo.

Posted Image

Saturday, I will file, sand, and shape it all, added filler where needed. So I will either have a nice modded stock this weekend, or I'll be ordering a new one.

05/29/08
I have finished the rough sanding, now just have to fill in some gaps and fine sand. I put some more aluminum rods with bondo in the well on the interior of the stock.

Posted Image

06/06/08
Finished sanding, primed (Rust-Oleum Plastic primer) and painted the stock. Painted the base layer of the barrel and receiver. I used brown Rust-Oleum MultiColor Textured spray paint. I have used Rust-Oleum before on project rifles and it really holds up well. I sprayed a light coat and then let it cure, then repeat. Next task it to prep the stock for bedding.

Posted Image

Notice the modded bedding screws (hex nuts minus the hex) to allow a nice seating for the bedding.

Posted Image

Two picks of the bedding prep work and a dry run. The tape around the barrel is to make sure that is stays fully floating.Hopefully one bedding run will do the trick.

Posted Image

And now a pic of the finished bedding pre-trim. I used J BWeld since it was readily available for the bedding and the neutral kiwi was an excellent release agent. With the bedding looking good, I used the rest of the J BWeld in the well in front of the lug to help give the stock some more support.

Posted Image

And now the finished product! I used Krylon Satin Crystal Clear Acrylic spray for a tough finish.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Xzuatl, 08 June 2008 - 01:32 PM.

“If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.” - Thomas Paine ‡

#2 handyrandyrc

handyrandyrc

The more laws and restrictions there are, the poorer the people become. – Lao Tsu

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:40 AM

Very very nice work. Looking forward to seeing some potential here, and results after the modifications, both in looks as well as to see if any accuracy improvement is noticed.

#3 youmightbearedneck

youmightbearedneck

Truth is not only violated by falsehood; it may be equally outraged by silence. – Henri Frederic Amiel

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:59 AM

I salute you, and your giant cojones! No way I could goop up my stock like that and end up with anything useful! B)
Andy

When we have undermined the patriotic lie, we shall have cleared the path for the great structure where all shall be united into a universal brotherhood — a truly free society. - Emma Goldman
"Anarchists did not try to carry out genocide against the Armenians in Turkey; they did not deliberately starve millions of Ukrainians; they did not create a system of death camps to kill Jews, gypsies, and Slavs in Europe; they did not fire-bomb scores of large German and Japanese cities and drop nuclear bombs on two of them; they did not carry out a Great Leap Forward that killed scores of millions of Chinese; they did not attempt to kill everybody with any appreciable education in Cambodia; they did not launch one aggressive war after another; they did not implement trade sanctions that killed perhaps 500,000 Iraqi children. In debates between anarchists and statists, the burden of proof clearly should rest on those who place their trust in the state. Anarchy's mayhem is wholly conjectural; the state's mayhem is undeniably, factually horrendous." ~ Robert Higgs

#4 Xzuatl

Xzuatl

• Supporters
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:06 PM

I salute you, and your giant cojones! No way I could goop up my stock like that and end up with anything useful! B)

We have yet to see if I am brilliant or stupid. But to be fair, I did have some inspiration. :)

“If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.” - Thomas Paine ‡

#5 Plumber Dave

Plumber Dave

Force always attracts men of low morality. – Albert Einstein

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:51 PM

That tupperware stock is the only thing I don't really care for on my savage .308. I've got some .308 loads that do great in my 1-10 twist .308. 155 gr sierra hpbt, 47 gr varget in winchester cases, soft seated. Also 175 gr sierra hpbt, 45 gr varget in winchester cases also soft seated. I messed around with the seating going from .015 off the lands to jamming the bullet and soft seated works best in my rifle. Both of these loads have given me sub-moa groups approaching 1/2 moa. If I was a better shooter I bet it would be closer to 1/4 moa. This is from a stock rifle. BTW those loads are max loads and should be worked up to carefully.

I've been wanting to get a thumbhole stock for this rifle and I thought about doing the bondo thing but I think I would just screw it up. Also I got a Past recoil pad to help with the recoil on my 300 win mag and my son uses it when he shoots the SKS. It took me almost a whole year to get rid of the flinch the stupid 300 win mag gave me. The 308 is like a "swedish massage" compared to the win mag.
"The freedom and happiness of man... [are] the sole objects of all legitimate government." --Thomas Jefferson

"The sacred rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for, among old parchments, or musty records. They are written, as with a sun beam in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of divinity itself; and can never be erased or obscured by mortal power." Alexander Hamilton

#6 Xzuatl

Xzuatl

• Supporters
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:33 AM

Update: Finished sanding and base painting...

#7 88tc

88tc

We find many things to which the prohibition of them constitutes the only temptation. – William Hazlitt

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:37 AM

Nice rifle. I had a Savage 110, .270. I wanted to get a McMillan A2 tactical stock for it, but damn.... really expensive. What your doing seems like a much more affordable alternative.

Edited by 88tc, 07 June 2008 - 07:41 AM.

"Any people, anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable, a most sacred right, a right which we hope and believe is to liberate the world." (Proves he was a hypocrite)
-Abraham Lincoln 1848

#8 Xzuatl

Xzuatl

• Supporters
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:56 AM

Nice rifle. I had a Savage 110, .270. I wanted to get a McMillan A2 tactical stock for it, but damn.... really expensive. What your doing seems like a much more affordable alternative.

I would love a McMillan and a Shilen barrel. But that is a little ways down the road. :) In total I spent less than $40 on this stock mod project.

#9 Xzuatl

Xzuatl

• Supporters
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:48 PM

Well I am done. I plan on putting more detail into the first post, but that will have to wait a bit. Anyway here is the before:

Posted Image

And after...

Posted Image

#10 youmightbearedneck

youmightbearedneck

Truth is not only violated by falsehood; it may be equally outraged by silence. – Henri Frederic Amiel

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:32 PM

Very good, especially for the price!
Let us know what kind of difference it makes at the range!
Andy

When we have undermined the patriotic lie, we shall have cleared the path for the great structure where all shall be united into a universal brotherhood — a truly free society. - Emma Goldman
"Anarchists did not try to carry out genocide against the Armenians in Turkey; they did not deliberately starve millions of Ukrainians; they did not create a system of death camps to kill Jews, gypsies, and Slavs in Europe; they did not fire-bomb scores of large German and Japanese cities and drop nuclear bombs on two of them; they did not carry out a Great Leap Forward that killed scores of millions of Chinese; they did not attempt to kill everybody with any appreciable education in Cambodia; they did not launch one aggressive war after another; they did not implement trade sanctions that killed perhaps 500,000 Iraqi children. In debates between anarchists and statists, the burden of proof clearly should rest on those who place their trust in the state. Anarchy's mayhem is wholly conjectural; the state's mayhem is undeniably, factually horrendous." ~ Robert Higgs

#11 Xzuatl

Xzuatl

• Supporters
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 01:53 PM

Very good, especially for the price!
Let us know what kind of difference it makes at the range!

Thanks, I am chomping at the bit to get to the range. Unfortunately it will have to wait til next weekend. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users