Photo

Pyramodule

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Chris

Chris

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think. Adolf Hitler

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:16 PM

I really like this idea.

Pyramodule

1. Small area, centralized around fireplace so heating should be easy.
2. Small efficent design.
3. Should handle the weather well. No flat sides for the wind to push on. No valleys on the roof to leak.
4. Stilted for us swamp dwellers.
5. Windows on 3 walls limits the need for electric lighting.
6. Multi floored design

I could go on and on.
Free-market capitalism is derived from no economic construction. It's not something we're trying to establish, it's something that we try to achieve by disestablishing market controls and regulations. It's not a system, it's an anti-system.. - Artigas

#2 EtdBob

EtdBob

Historically, much of the motivation for public schooling has been to stifle variety and institute social control. Jack Hugh

• Supporters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:20 PM

Argh.

Posted Image

I'd go crazy trying to frame that thing up.
Not for me, but yeah, it has certain advantages as you pointed out. Built on wooden poles, it avoids the cost of a foundation.
The floorplans are reasonable. I do prefer smaller dwellings with open interiors.
In a warm climate, you'd need real good ventilation in the loft.

Should be quite stout. This photo shows what looks like a square frame cabin with a big hip roof -

Posted Image

Additional framing is added to fill out the lower section -

Posted Image

I'm not quite sure it's worth the effort, but the lower angles do provide additional storage space, if not floor space, and probably add significant structural reinforcement.

Ya know what would be a deal breaker for me? No porch! :P

I'd rather have a somewhat rectangular cabin of similar floor space.
I think I might not be happy living in a cube, but would prefer a rectangle.
Hip roof or whatever. A gambrel roof would give the most space upstairs in the lofts.
Add a porch on the long side. Or heck, on all sides. I do most of my living out of doors, and I do like having a big porch.

But yeah, the pyramodule isn't a bad place to start and some get ideas.
For Liberty and Responsibility

#3 handyrandyrc

handyrandyrc

The more laws and restrictions there are, the poorer the people become. Lao Tsu

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 04:23 PM

Now I KNOW I'm hanging out with weirdo conspiracists. :)

Weirdo conspiracist types that make weird homes out of strange materials, in strange shapes. Years and years back, it was the geodesic dome homes -- you know, the one up and away on the hillside on its own -- the one that looks like a golfball? Every town has got one of those.

We had a guy around here that built a home shaped like a ship. No, it's really not a ship, but a home shaped like one. Weirdo conspiracist guy -- it was his way of giving the middle finger to the Army Corps of Engineers that "created" the Teton flood in SE Idaho. Many people here thought the Army Corps did it on purpose.

;)

Edited by handyrandyrc, 25 July 2008 - 04:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users